Thursday, May 19, 2016

Boy with autism speaks to his classmates on "what autism means to me"


This guest post is by CJ Barry who is a 11-year-old on the autism spectrum. In March CJ was asked to speak at his school’s assembly for 200 students where he shared a letter called “What Autism Means To Me.” This is what CJ had to say…



Hi my name is CJ Barry. I am 11-years-old and I live with my mom, my nanny, Modesta and my dog, Jakee. I go to piano lessons, Boy Scouts, swimming lessons, skeateboard lessons and I love to play with my electronics. This description of me is probably the same as some of you but my only difference from you is that I have autism.

Having autism makes me different in many ways. I am very smart and have a great memory but sometimes I have to work harder than other kids to do my schoolwork. My favorite activity is playing with electronics. I play lots of video games and I am a top rated gamer. When I grow up, I plan to be a Lawyer like my DAD!

One of the characteristics of autism that affects me is that I worry a lot and get nervous in situations where I am not familiar. During this time my teachers, classmates and my friends help by calming me down.

I do lots of therapy after school and lots of medical appointments related to my autism. One of the greatest things about autism for me is that I am the mascot for Team CJ and get to go to lots of autism community and fundraisers.

I was born with autism and I don’t know any other way to be. But I think autism makes me both unique and special.

:) :) :) :) :)

CJ and his mother Paula Stamp walk for Team CJ for Autism Speaks Canada Walk. You can donate to their team here. Want to walk with us? See if there’s a walk in your area at www.autismspeakswalk.org


I was born with autism and I don’t know any other way to be. But I think autism makes me both unique and special.

The Autism Speaks blog features opinions from people throughout the autism community. Each blog represents the point of view of the author and does not necessarily reflect Autism Speaks' beliefs or point of view.